Home > Class 3 / NFA FAQ > How do I buy an NFA item? > How to register a suppressor to a corporation

This information takes you through the process of registering a suppressor to a corporation.

Depending on whether you live in Arkansas or not, the process will be slightly different.  The main difference is that we’ll do the paperwork for Arkansas buyers, and non-Arkansas buyers will have an FFL/SOT holder in their state who will fill out the paperwork.

The first thing people hear about when they’re looking at buying an NFA item, such as a suppressor, is the ATF Form 4.  The seems to cause a fair amount of stress as people worry over how they are going to fill out that dreaded form.

Well, the good news is that you don’t need to fill it out at all!  We, or your transfer dealer, will fill out two copies of this form for you.

With a corporation, your part couldn’t be simpler.  All you have to do is sign & date section 15 on both copies of the Form 4 you are provided with.  You will also receive a form 5330.20 and should sign and date that form as well – basically saying you are a U.S. citizen.

You will also need to print a “Certificate of Account Status” or “Certificate of Good Standing” for your corporation.  You should be able to get this online from your Secretary of State’s website.  (For Arkansas buyers, you can find it here: http://www.sos.arkansas.gov/corps/search_all.php.)  If, for some reason, you are unable to locate that document, you can include a copy of your articles of incorporation or LLC agreement instead.

Once you’ve signed in all 3 places and have your “Certificate of Good Standing”, you can put everything in an envelope and mail it to the ATF with a check for $200.  For our Arkansas customers, we provide a pre-addressed, postage-paid envelope that you can use as part of our registration packet.

At this point, you get to practice waiting.  For most people, the hardest part of buying a suppressor is having the patience to wait for that tax stamp to come back from the ATF.

For Arkansas buyers, we will receive your tax stamp and will give you a call as soon as it arrives.  Then you can either come pick it up or have us mail it to you.

For non-Arkansas buyers, the FFL/SOT holder who is handling the transfer will receive your tax stamp and will call you to come pick up your new toy!

As you can see, there really isn’t much to the process.  Once you’ve been through it once, chances are you’ll do it again – especially after you see what a blast it is to shoot suppressed!

~Reprinted, with some revisions, with the permission of Dave Matheny.